Peanut Butter Honey Brownies

2008_09100054-resize.JPG

This recipe I came up with on the fly, out of the blue, in order to have something quick and easy for dessert. I looked around at other recipes but I can’t find anything really that it is like. As you may have noticed I really love baking cakes and that’s what I mostly do when I want to bake. The problem with cakes is how long most of them can take to make. These brownies were easy to make and quite good. They have more of a cakey texture and the peanut butter is a wonderful combination. The honey adds extra sweetness and a moist texture. I usually prefer fudgy brownies but these turned out well.

The grocery store has been out of arrowroot starch for a few weeks now. Either they won’t restock it or they have moved its location and I can’t find it. I didn’t want to go back to using cornflour (corn starch) or potato starch, so I decided to see if coconut flour could replace it. It seems to work just fine. Because it absorbs so much moisture it acts in many ways similar to a starch. If you can’t get or would rather not use coconut flour, then arrowroot starch, cornflour (cornstarch), or potato starch would work instead. In case you were wondering, it did not impart the taste of coconut. If you used something in place of the coconut flour, then the flours are easy to find.

Peanut Butter Honey Brownies

80 ml (1/3 cup) oil

225g (1 cup) caster sugar

3 eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt

60g (1/2 cup) cocoa

110g (1 cup) gluten-free flour blend (I used white rice flour, tapioca flour, and coconut flour)

80 ml (1/3 cup) water

3 tablespoons peanut butter

2 tablespoons honey, golden syrup, maple syrup, or agave syrup

Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Grease a 23 cm (9 inch) square tin. In a bowl, mix together oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add salt, cocoa, gluten-free flour blend, and water. Mix until smooth. Pour half the batter into prepared tin. Put dollops of peanut butter on the batter. Drizzle the honey or preferred syrup over the batter. Pour the other half of the batter over the top and spread gently to cover the peanut butter layer. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack. Makes 9-16 brownies, depending on how small you cut them. Enjoy!

9 Comments »

9 Comments to “Peanut Butter Honey Brownies”

1. on 22 Sep 2008 at 7:20 pm Sally Parrott Ashbrook

Oh my GOODNESS, that sounds tasty.

2. on 25 Sep 2008 at 2:10 pm Willa

Hi Sally,
    Yes, these are indeed tasty :) . I always have a weakness for anything with peanut butter and chocolate. Thank you for the comment.

3. on 15 Dec 2008 at 3:06 pm Sue

Hi!
    You are an inspiration. I should eat gluten free but don’t because I love to bake and haven’t succeeded yet in adapting to baking gluten free. I recently started a blog and have been baking more but the side effects from eating more baked goods made me click on your site from Anna’s site. I see you’ve successfully adapted some of her recipes. There is hope!

4. on 17 Dec 2008 at 2:17 pm Willa

Hi Sue,

Yes, adjusting to baking gluten-free is challenging. Just the prospect of using more than one flour can be enough to discourage. Good luck! I admire Anna and her energy to share recipes. I wish I could adapt more of them! Thank you for the comment.

5. on 07 Mar 2011 at 12:05 pm Aurea

Have you tried the Chia seed flour? It’s like wheat flour, but gluten-free, its flavor is completely normal. You can substitute regular flour in recipes like cake, cookies or muffing. I used this product and recommend it 100%, my grandkids love cookies and brownies. This is a very good product for the whole family. There are many articles on You Tube for preparing all kinds of recipes (Nuchia Food) is an excellent product that offers Nuchia Foods. http://www.nuchiafoods.com

6. on 16 Mar 2011 at 2:23 pm Peter

mmmh this is delicious! Tried it and it`s so good. Thanks!

7. on 24 Nov 2011 at 7:16 am Karen

Hi I have just found out I have 15 food allergies and love to bake . I thinks some of these recipes above will work well for me with a few tweeks. Can I ask who is Anna ??

Thanks again

Karen

8. on 19 Feb 2012 at 10:20 am Amy Ruth

I might try to use this with my baking mix and almond butter, thanks!

9. on 07 Aug 2012 at 1:00 am Alexander from lebeglutenfrei.de

I too have gluten intolerance. Found that out when following a low carb diet. Dont give up. You are not sick!